Dermal fillers treatment is becoming more and more popular and so if the desire to have the treatment carried out my dentists, who have a precise knowledge of how botox affects your overall facial anatomy. It is paramount that this type of treatment is carried out by a professional and not at home or by an unqualified person as it can affect your entire appearance., beyond simply the area you are looking to alter.
How do they work?
Dermal fillers work by smoothening out your wrinkles, rejuvenating your deep lines and restoring the natural curves and shapes of your face, giving you a fresher appearance. Dermal fillers work by restoring the collagen that is lost through factors such as air pollution, exposure to sunlight and ageing. Fillers contain hyaluronic acid which is a natural element of the human body and when this depletes, lines appears around the mouth, nose, lips, forehead and cheeks.
Dermal fillers are temporary fillers which you can ‘top-up’. Your dentist will inject them in measured doses under the surface of your skin.
Where are the common areas for dermal fillers?
- Peri-oral lines particularly under the bottom lip and middle of the top lip, as well as nose to mouth lines and mouth to chin lines.
- Drooping mouth corners.
- Your Marionette line’ (the line descending from the corners of your mouth towards the chin).
- Frown line – fillers can be used to treat vertical glabella lines – these type of lines appear with age.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do dermal fillers have side effects? Side effects are mild and do not normally last beyond 48 hours. These can be in the form of mild bruising or swelling.
- Is anaesthetic administered for the treatment? Yes – local anaesthetic is applied to ease any discomfort.
- Is everyone suitable for dermal fillers? As hyaluronic acid has not been approved or tested for safety in nursing or pregnancy, dermal fillers are not currently suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- How long do results last? Results last between 6 – 9 months.
- How long does the treatment take? Treatments take as little as 30 minutes and there is no need to stay in the clinic for a recovery period afterwards – you can also resume your normal routine straight afterwards.
If you would like further information about dermal fillers, please do not hesitate to contact us.