Bad breath can be a day-to-day irritation for your self-esteem as well as your health. However, fear not. Bad breath is a very common issue that in most cases, can be dealt with fairly easily by your dentist.
Some of the causes of bad breath include:
- Failing to maintain a good oral hygiene routine.
- Drinking more than the recommended amount of alcohol.
- Eating strong-flavoured foods.
- Dry mouth – which can sometimes be caused by prescription drugs.
- Throat infections and wisdom tooth infections.
- Build-up of bacteria on the tongue.
- Particular illnesses.
For less serious complications, once you have visited your dentist for advice and help, you can take measures at home to keep bad breath at bay such as:
- Gargling salt water – prepare a cup of lukewarm water with a couple of teaspoons of salt mixed in, then rinse your mouth out with the solution. Although this does not taste fantastic, it will help clean your mouth and keep bacteria a bay.
- A course of antibiotics.
- Flossing regularly to remove any food and bacteria lodged between your teeth.
- Brushing twice a day for 2 minutes each time.
- Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash.
- Visiting your dental hygienist and dentist regularly for a scale and polish and check-up.
Here at Cliftonville, we can help in the following ways:
- Gum disease: this can be treated by root debriding and cleaning. Root debriding is a non-surgical procedure and refers to the process of removing plaque and tartar, which can be performed by our hygienist.
- If you have an ill-fitting bridge or crown, these may be causing food to become trapped thus causing bad breath.
- Give general and more specific advice on how to maintain your oral hygiene and dental health. Once any complications have been identified, we can offer a bespoke treatment plan.
If you would like to book a consultation with one of our dentists, please do not hesitate to give us a call.