What is CEREC ?
Cerec is a revolutionary computer-aided system that has transformed the nature of restorative dentistry.
CEREC technology enables your dentist here at Cliftonville to place, produce and design ceramic restorations. The main advantage of this is that the restorations can be performed in one session as opposed to other methods which require several appointments.
How does the process work?
During your single appointment, your dentist will perform the process necessary for restoring a missing tooth. Your dentist will need to take dental impressions (an imprint of the soft and hard tissues in your mouth). Following this, your tooth will be prepared using a computer-based system – this process is called milling.
All performed in a single appointment…
Once your tooth has been prepared, your dentist will use an intraoral camera to take a picture of the tooth that is to be restored, as well as images of the surrounding tissue area – this will allow you the patient, to take a look at how the bite will work. This bespoke process also allows your dentist to study a detailed image of your tooth, which is then wirelessly sent to a milling machine. This machine makes up your restoration from colour-matched ceramic material and takes as little as 15 minutes to complete! Any finishing touches are added and the tooth is ready to fit.
A round-up of the benefits…
- Time-saving – as opposed to other methods, the procedure can be carried out over a single appointment. Many practices cannot offer this.
- Your impressions are taken quickly and without any hassle that traditional methods can carry. As they are taken digitally instead of using gels, the patient does not need to endure any discomfort and time is saved as these do not need to be posted to the dental lab – they can be transferred online.
- Long-lasting and high in quality – research shows that CEREC has a 95.5% success rate over the past 9 years.
- Bespoke – the process is tailored to your teeth’s exact structure.
- Aesthetically pleasing – your friends need not know you have a restoration, as they are natural-looking and designed to blend in with your other teeth.
If you would like to arrange a consultation, please do not hesitate to contact us.