Missing teeth can have a serious impact on your overall heath as well as your oral health if left untreated.
What is the best way to replace a missing tooth?
Dental implants are widely considered the most effective way to replace missing teeth, as they are the closest thing to a real tooth. Dental implants replace your tooth root and a restoration such a crown or a bridge is placed on top, acting as your tooth – you can choose the shade and colour of your tooth with your dentist so that it blends well with your natural teeth.
What does the process involve?
Generally, two different procedures are required, each with 3-6 months between them. The first procedure is when a small hole will be made inside your gum, where the implant is to be placed. After a period of healing time, a second incision is made and a healing cap is screwed on top of the implant, helping the surrounding gum tissue to heal. The abutment is subsequently screwed onto the implant with the purpose of supporting your bridge or crown.
A quick sap summary of the process:
- Firstly, the titanium implant is placed into the upper or lower jawbone.
- Following this, the abutment is attached, connecting the implant to the restoration.
- The restoration (the part that resembles a real tooth) is placed after the implant has had time to fuse with the bone. The crown or bridge is cemented or screwed onto the abutment.
Am I eligible for dental implants?
For dental implants to be a viable solution for patients there must be enough bone in the jaw. Should a patient have an insufficient bone, a procedure called bone augmentation can be carried out in order to add the necessary bone. If bone grafting is necessary, the procedure can take up to a year, as additional healing time is required.
The benefits of dental implants summarised:
- As they’re a way of replacing your tooth’s root, they feel like a natural part of your body. Your implant is given time to fuse with your gum before a restoration is placed on top.
- It is extremely rare for your body to ‘reject’ the implant.
- Bespoke treatment that is discussed in detail with the patient beforehand to ensure that needs are met according to their dental health.
- Dental implants can improve your speech.
- Smile with confidence.
- Chew your food more effectively and improve your digestive system by breaking food down properly.
If you would like any further information on dental implants, please do not hesitate to contact us here at Cliftonville.