Do you have a missing tooth and have you been putting off visiting us to tackle it? Make 2018 the year you restore you smile….
The consequences of failing to replace a missing tooth as soon as possible can be severe. One of the associated risks is jawbone resorption, which is when your jawbone does not receive the stimulation is needs, as there are vacant gaps in your mouth.
Did you know that after the first year of having a missing tooth, 25% of the bone in your jaw is lost? This continues year upon year.
Dental implants to tackle jawbone loss
Dentures can be used to replace a missing tooth but they will not tackle the issue of jawbone loss as they are a removable solution and do not replace the missing tooth’s root as dental implants do. Dental implants are made up of:
- An implant (the element that is inserted into your jawbone and replaces the tooth’s root).
- A restoration (the aesthetic part of the treatment that is fixed over the top of the implant)
- An abutment (the connecting elements that bonds the restoration to the implant).
How are dental implants a superior solution to dentures?
- As mentioned above, dental implants tackle the issue of jawbone loss as a consequence of a vacant space in the mouth.
- Highly-aesthetic solution – here at Cliftonville, we can create a porcelain CEREC crown to place over the top of your dental implant, giving an authentic-looking result that is in-keeping with your existing teeth.
- Function like a real tooth – dental implants are left to fuse with your jawbone over a period of months before we can place a restoration over the top. During this time, the implant will become a permanent part of you and once the whole implant process is complete, you can maintain your implant in the same way as you would your natural teeth.
- Solution for life – unlike dentures which have a limited lifespan, dental implants will last a lifetime, if properly maintained through effective brushing, flossing and regular visits to the hygienist and dentist .
If you would like more information about the treatments we offer here at Cliftonville, please do not hesitate to contact us.