We strive to offer our patients the highest level of treatment possible and part of this is investing in new technology for the practice. A few years ago we introduced the Florida Probe system to Cliftonville, so patients can now benefit from technology that offers the most accurate method for the diagnosis of gum disease.
The role of the Florida Probe
The probe has the ability to measure the depth of periodontal pockets which are abnormally deep spaces around your teeth (as a result of gum disease) that can lead to tooth loss. As well as offering pinpoint accuracy, the Probe can identify gum disease even when symptoms have not fully manifested. Diagnosis with the Florida Probe is non-invasive and comfortable for patients, taking only 20-30 minutes. Such technology allows us to build a comprehensive and accurate picture of your oral hygiene in very little time as well as develop a custom treatment plan for every step of your recovery.
You may feel you are brushing effectively and for the correct amount of time and have a healthy shade to your teeth but some surface staining is unavoidable especially into older age. Removing any plaque or tartar will reduce your chances of developing gingivitis and gum disease which in turn, maintains your overall health. Examples of how maintaining good oral hygiene pertains to your overall health include:
- In 2012 it was proved that gum disease is a cause of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Good oral hygiene reduces the rate at which your arteries thicken, reducing your risk of heart disease and strokes.
- When you have gum disease, your risk of suffering a heart attack is increased by 50%.
- If allowed to go untreated for too long, gum disease causes the gums to become inflamed which affects the bloodstream, more specifically damaging blood vessels in your brain and heart.
- Research shows that the protein from the bacteria that causes gum disease is closely linked with rheumatoid arthritis.
If you would like more information about the treatments we offer here at Cliftonville, please do not hesitate to contact us.