From a young age we are (rightly) imbued with the lesson that we must look after our teeth to make sure they are healthy into our older years and yet, the same emphasis is not placed on our oral hygiene and gums, which are equally important. Your hygienist and your dentist play different roles where the health and aesthetics of your smile are concerned. Read on to find out more about how they differ and why you should be making time for the hygienist in addition to visiting your dentist.
- Hygienists can deep clean your teeth – At one time or another we will all develop surface staining that cannot be removed through brushing alone. Your dental hygienist can perform half hour treatments to remove plaque and tartar that builds up as a result of simple wear and tear into your older years or as a result of lifestyle choices such as smoking and poor diet.
- Flag up potential problems – Complications with your gums can be tricky to spot yourself and regular check-ups with your hygienist will act as a preventative measure where gum disease and other gum and hygiene-related complications are concerned.
- Maintain fresh breath – Research has shown that in most cases (as many as 90%), bad breath can be attributed to poor oral hygiene; regular scale and polish treatments will keep this at bay, removing staining and particles that linger in the far corners of your mouth.
- Hygienists and their educational role – Hygienists can constantly help you improve your oral hygiene routine and offer friendly advice as you go through life and your mouth changes. From brushing and flossing techniques to the types of food that you should be eating, our hygienists here at Cliftonville are a friendly and approachable team who can educate and advise you.
- Maintain confidence in your smile – Failing to visit the hygienist may result in unsightly surface stains (as discussed above) that may affect your desire to smile. Make sure you keep on top of visits to the dental hygienist to avoid an unhealthy-looking smile that might get you down later along the line.
If you would like to arrange an appointment with the hygienist here at Cliftonville, please do not hesitate to contact us.