Dental anxiety is a very real and common phenomenon that affects people of all ages, often stemming from unpleasant past experiences in the dentist’s chair. In fact, surveys reveal that a significant portion of the UK population—up to 53%—fear visiting the dentist, with 17% even opting to avoid dental care altogether (Anxiety UK).
Many factors can contribute to dental anxiety, from traumatic experiences to a fear of needles, the unsettling sound of dental tools or the anticipation of pain. The good news is that modern advancements in dentistry have opened doors to innovative solutions aimed at combating this phobia, and one such solution is intravenous (IV) sedation.
Intravenous sedation is a safe and predictable procedure that offers our patients a soothing experience during dental treatments while ensuring they remain fully conscious throughout the process. At Cliftonville Dental, our dedicated team has undergone extensive training and specialised courses to administer sedation, creating a more comfortable environment for our nervous patients.
Today, we’re going to discuss how intravenous sedation can relieve your dental anxiety and how you can incorporate it into your treatment plan for a more relaxed experience.
What is IV Sedation?
Intravenous sedation, also called conscious sedation, involves the gentle administration of Benzodiazepine through a small cannula in the back of your hand. This technique induces a state of deep relaxation and calmness while you’re still awake and responsive.
What’s more, many of our patients have shared that they experienced no pain during their treatment when they opted for IV sedation. In fact, some of them couldn’t recall the treatment at all, as if they were in a blissful sleep.
Can Anyone Have IV Sedation?
Before integrating intravenous sedation into your treatment plan, a preliminary examination at our practice is essential to assess your suitability. This assessment considers your medical history, physical condition, and other relevant factors.
It’s important to note that while IV sedation is unsuitable for children, we do offer inhalation sedation as an alternative.
Is IV Sedation Safe?
IV sedation stands as one of the safest sedation methods, offering predictable outcomes. Our team will also vigilantly monitor your vital signs throughout the procedure to ensure your well-being.
Dr Amita Peet is one of the most experienced sedation dentists in the county and possesses an impressive track record of over 3000 successful sedation cases.
Benefits of IV Sedation for Dental Anxiety:
1) Anxiety Relief: The most obvious advantage of IV sedation is that it greatly reduces or even eliminates your anxiety. You’ll feel relaxed and comfortable throughout the procedure, making it much easier for you to undergo even complex treatments, such as Dental Implants.
2) Pain Management: IV sedation not only reduces anxiety but also helps manage pain. The sedative often has an analgesic effect, meaning you’ll experience less discomfort during and after the procedure.
3) Time Efficiency: Since you’ll be in a relaxed state, our dentists can work more efficiently, potentially reducing the number of appointments needed for your treatment.
4) Memory Suppression: IV sedation can cause partial or complete memory loss of the procedure. This means that even if you were nervous before the appointment, you wouldn’t carry those feelings forward as traumatic memories.
5) Applicable to Various Procedures: Intravenous sedation is suitable for a wide range of dental procedures, from routine cleanings to more invasive treatments like extractions or root canals.
6) Safe and Monitored: IV sedation is administered by trained professionals in a controlled environment. You’ll be continuously monitored throughout the procedure to ensure your safety.
Preparing for IV Sedation:
1) Transport Arrangements: Due to the sedative’s effects, you cannot drive after the procedure. Arrange for a family member, friend or caregiver to accompany you to the appointment and drive you home afterwards. We will only allow you to leave once we are sure you’ve made appropriate arrangements.
2) Comfortable Clothing: Wear loose, comfortable clothing to the appointment. This will help you feel relaxed and at ease during the procedure. It’s also important to wear short sleeves so we can easily access your hand for the cannula.
3) Personal Items: Bring along any personal items that help you relax – a favourite book, calming music, or even headphones. These items can create a more comfortable environment during the pre- and post-sedation phases.
4) Ask Questions: If you have any lingering doubts or concerns about the procedure, feel free to reach out to our team. Having a clear understanding of what to expect can alleviate anxiety.
5) Post-Procedure Care: Prepare a post-procedure recovery area at home with comfortable pillows and blankets. Stock up on soft foods that you can enjoy after the procedure.
How to Add IV Sedation to Your Treatment Plan?
For registered patients at Cliftonville Dental, adding IV Sedation to your treatment plan is a seamless process.
Simply reach out to our welcoming receptionists to arrange a sedation consultation before your scheduled treatment. This is a chance for you to have a chat with our dental team and ask any questions about our sedation options. Additionally, we will perform a brief health evaluation and request relevant medical information.
If you’re afraid of needles and would prefer an alternative solution, please read about our inhalation sedation option.
Your comfort and peace of mind are our top priorities. By embracing innovative solutions like intravenous sedation, you can say goodbye to dental fear and welcome a future of confident smiles and worry-free visits. Reach out to our friendly team today at 01604 604545 and take the first step towards a more relaxed and enjoyable experience. Your smile deserves nothing less!