Today, 6th October 2023, marks World Smile Day—a day dedicated to spreading joy and kindness and celebrating the power of a smile. This day carries a fascinating history tracing back to 1963 when Harvey Ball, a talented graphic artist from Worcester, Massachusetts, introduced the iconic smiley face symbol that has since become a global symbol of happiness and positivity. It has graced our screens in movies like ‘Forrest Gump’ and has become a ubiquitous presence in pop culture, fashion, comics and the emojis we use daily.
In 1999, Harvey felt that the symbol had lost some of its original charm due to commercialisation, and he decided to reclaim his creation by establishing World Smile Day as a day to celebrate positivity and, of course, smiling. This special day serves as a reminder of the profound impact a simple smile can have, not only on ourselves but also on those around us.
As dentists, we understand the transformative power of a beautiful smile. Our mission is to help people regain their confidence to smile; there’s nothing quite like witnessing the genuine happiness and confidence that radiates from our patients when they see their teeth in the mirror post-treatment.
So, Will You Be Smiling This World Smile Day?
We hope your answer is a resounding ‘yes!’ But we also understand that not everyone feels comfortable with their smile. If that’s the case for you, why not visit our practice in Northampton? We can discuss various options to address any concerns you have about your teeth, so you can rediscover the joy of smiling.
Cosmetic Dentistry offers a wide range of solutions to enhance various aspects of your smile, each tailored to your specific needs. Some treatments can be completed in under an hour, leaving you with a refreshed smile that you’ll be proud to show off. Sometimes, the simplest treatments can make a whole world of difference in how you feel about your teeth.
What Do We Offer?
We have a talented, multi-disciplinary team capable of providing various cosmetic treatments. Dr Anesh Patel and Dr Arti Shah, who run Cliftonville Dental, offer a wide selection of cosmetic treatments tailored to your preferences, following a comprehensive consultation to understand what you’d like to achieve. Sama Ria, our resident Orthodontist, specialises in delivering exceptional orthodontic solutions, whether it’s fixed braces or Invisalign, to transform your smile by reshaping your jaw and aligning crooked teeth.
How Can You Make Sure You’re Smile Ready?
Want to be smile-ready not just for World Smile Day, but every day? There are easy ways you can improve your oral health to ensure that your smile looks healthy and radiant when you share it. Here are some oral hygiene tips to consider:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily, preferably in the morning and before bedtime.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to strengthen your enamel and prevent cavities.
- Don’t overlook the importance of daily flossing to eliminate food particles and plaque from between your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly, ideally every three to four months.
- Drink lots of water to avoid sugars and bacteria sticking to your teeth, and limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks. We also advise reducing your intake of red wine, coffee and tea to prevent surface stains that are hard to remove without professional teeth whitening.
- Visit our dental practice twice a year for regular check-ups and cleanings so that we can monitor your oral health for decay, gum disease and oral cancer.
- Improve your oral and overall health by quitting smoking to avoid stains, tooth loss and gum disease.
- If you have missing teeth, consider discussing options for replacement with our team. Replacing missing teeth is crucial for both your oral health and overall well-being. We can explore options such as dental implants, bridges or dentures to restore your smile and maintain proper oral function.
How Can You Make Other People Smile on This Special Day?
- Smile yourself: Start by wearing a genuine smile on your face. Your happiness and positivity can be infectious and inspire others to smile.
- Random acts of kindness: Perform small acts of kindness, like holding the door for someone, helping someone carry their bags, or buying a stranger a cup of coffee.
- Send uplifting messages: Send messages, texts or cards with uplifting quotes or cheerful messages to friends, family and coworkers.
- Listen and empathise: Sometimes, just being a good listener and offering emotional support can bring a smile to someone’s face.
- Hug it out: Offer warm, friendly hugs to friends and family, as physical affection can boost mood and create smiles.
- Leave Positive Notes: Leave positive notes or messages in public places, such as on bulletin boards, park benches or bathroom mirrors.
Have a Wonderful World Smile Day!
As dentists, we’re all about spreading joy one smile at a time. We are always here to offer guidance and treatments to ensure your smile remains both functional and healthy, allowing you to continue smiling for years to come. Nothing is more rewarding than witnessing the immense happiness on our patients’ faces when we boost their self-confidence and restore their ability to smile.
If you’re interested in learning more about any of our cosmetic or restorative treatments, please get in touch with us at 01604 604545 or book a consultation online.
We’re here for you six days a week, with evening hours too, so you can pick the perfect time for your consultation appointment. Our amazing team will give your smile a full assessment and offer customised recommendations that fit your unique goals, lifestyle and budget.