Prompt attention when you’re in pain or need urgent treatment
At Cliftonville we understand that there are times when our patients need treatment as quickly as possible. Rest assured that we reserve time for registered and unregistered emergencies every working day (Monday to Saturday). Please don’t struggle on when you’re in pain, or if you suffer an unexpected problem such as a lost filling or broken denture. Give us a call – we’re here for you six days a week!
To improve your chances of getting a prompt appointment, please try to call us as early as possible in the morning.
Some common dental emergencies and what to do about them
In the first instance, call Cliftonville’s Northampton practice on 01604 604545. We’ll schedule an appointment for you and advise you on what to do in the meantime. If you’re in pain, take some painkillers such as ibuprofen or paracetamol, remembering always to follow the instructions on the pack.
- If you have toothache: The important thing is not to prolong your pain by waiting to see if it will go away. Follow the advice above and call us so we can see you as soon as possible.
- If you’ve lost a crown: Keep the crown safe and call us right away. The sooner we can see you, the better the chances that we can re-cement it successfully.
- If you have a loose tooth: If this is the result of an accident, it’s worth trying to move the tooth back to its approximate original position – but don’t try to force it. You can then hold the tooth in place with a moist tissue until you get to our practice.
- If you’ve knocked out a tooth: Find the tooth and rinse it, taking care not to touch the root. If at all possible, place it back in its socket within 30 minutes of the incident. If you can’t do this, put it in a glass of cold milk – this will keep it in good condition until we can deal with your emergency.
- If you’ve broken a tooth: Broken teeth can be repaired more successfully than many people imagine. Avoid hot drinks, or biting in the area of the broken tooth… and give us a call right away.
- If you have a swelling: This is usually caused by an infection and may be as a result of an abscess. A problem with a tooth may be the underlying cause. We’ll treat both the symptoms and the cause.
- If your filling has fallen out: Arrange an appointment and we’ll carry out a temporary repair as soon as possible to prevent further problems occurring
- If you’ve broken a denture: Don’t try to fix it yourself! We can usually carry out effective repairs. Call our Northampton practice and we’ll advise you.
Dental emergency? Call us on 01604 604545
Our charge for an emergency consultation is £59 for registered patients and £140 for unregistered patients. In both cases, there will be a separate charge for any radiographs taken and treatment carried out.